Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Brownie Points

So, Wednesday seems like a good day to post a great low-cal recipe so you can start looking forwards for the weekend! 
100 cal? You got my attention!

You probably don't know me that well yet but see, thing is, I am a huge healthy eater. Well, actually, scrap that. I am a woman-woman; as in: I worry about my weight more than I should. However, I stay away from fad-diets (even though I have tried a fair share... I can share my experiences later) and try to keep a balanced, active lifestyle during the week with not-so-unusual splurges on weekends because life is jus too short (and eating is just too damn good) . Above all I love food; I really do! And I absolutely love baking, so I figured I should share some of my favorite low-cal (and some not-so-low cal but totally worth it) or healthy recipes with you guys. 

To kick off this section of the blog I decided on my most recent attempt: 100 cal brownies.. Yup you heard me! I got the recipe from The Londoner blog and the moment I saw her pictures I HAD to try them... so I did! Are they good? Yes. Are they great? No, but they make the cut. They are pretty great for mid-week sweet craves and delicious heated up with a bit of low-cal protein based ice-cream (post to come on those later, stay tuned!). 

I think I over-cooked mine a little which might be why they weren't as fudgy as I expected, so keep a close eye (and ear) on that timer! Also, I substituted the low fat yogurt for greek fat free yogurt to make it completely fat-free. Also recommend adding some semi-sweet chocolate chips just for the sake of it. Try it yourself and let me know how it went! 

Ingredients
3/4 cup Low fat yogurt (I used fat free greek)
1/4 cup Skimmed milk (or almond/soy)1/2 cup Cocoa powder1/2 cup Wholegrain rolled oats (I used regular rolled oats)1/2 cup sweetner of choice 1 free range egg1 tsp Baking powderPinch of salt150g Roughly chopped pecans (or nuts of your choice) (I omitted these altogether)

Preparation
  • Pre-heat your oven to 2400°F & grease a small baking tray (about 8in x 8in).
  • Throw everything except the nuts into a blender. Blend until smooth. 
  • Pour into tray, scatter with nuts & bung it all into the oven for 20mins.
100 cal (2 WW points +) per brownie. Calorie count is based on cutting up 9 brownies. Without the nuts and fat free yogurt you can chop off some calories too - enough to add some chocolate chips! Also works well for a 6 muffin tin (small muffins, Vita-top style)






No comments: